Pages

Thursday, December 02, 2004

a sane remnant

If the media is to be believed, you’d think Canadians are collectively lighting their hair on fire in opposition to George Bush.

Not.

Earl McRae’s Wednesday article, "Signs of irritation in midst of crowd" Ottawa Sun, Dec. 1 illustrates that a sane remnant remains.

One of the protestors, a 23-year-old single mom and psychology student who came, with her two-year-old son in tow on a Kingston bus with other protestors, quoted her wise father:

"My dad didn't want me to be here. He called me twice last night and said I was off my rocker. He said I didn't know what I was doing. He said that's what war is like, people get killed, but it's for the greater cause...."

And at the edge of the crowd, the reporter's interaction with Iraqi expatriate, John Al-Hassani, holding a "Support Bush Sign" is illuminating:

"I came to this country from Iraq," he shouts in staccato bursts. "I have family there. I talk to them all the time. Look at these fools. They have no idea. They are idiots. They are simple babies. The majority of Iraqis are glad Bush liberated them from Saddam Hussein. But, you don't see that on TV, only the terrorist gangsters blowing people up. They don't speak for the people of Iraq.

"My country suffered under that madman. There was no freedom. He tortured and killed our people. Even Prime Minister Martin said the other day that the United Nations should change its policy, that democratic countries should have the right to invade countries with dictators who do genocide and torture their people.

"These people here have never suffered. They make me sick. You are a reporter. You should ignore them or you are a fool too. If Canada was a terrible dictatorship like Iraq was under Saddam, would these people tell Bush no, no, don't invade, we don't want you to give us freedom?"

John Al-Hassani glares at a protester who glares back. The protester's sign says: "Evil Bush Lied To Drag The World To War." Says Al-Hassani under his breath: "In Iraq if he'd said that about Saddam Hussein he'd be taken away and murdered."

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...