Pages

Thursday, June 29, 2006

garden moments - last week of June

There were several...


Mystery Plant

The magenta flowers on gray-green stems and foliage are pretty when massed. This plant seeds itself too. My problem is, I don’t know what it's called. (And though it's in many gardens around here, I’m wondering if it isn't really a weed.)






Love-in-a-mist (Nigella)

I first planted these from seeds Mom collected from her garden back in the days when I was into drying and making ‘everlasting’ arrangements. For that you use not the flowers but the seed pods, which are really quite lovely in dried bouquets. Since then I’ve come to look forward to the few days these romantic-looking flowers are in bloom. In fact, now that I seldom make dried arrangements, I often pull out nigella as soon as it’s finished blooming so as to avoid all those seeds ripening. Love-in-a-mist is beautiful, but even it can’t be allowed to take over the garden.


Surprise!

A flash of orange turns out to be primula, over-summering under one of the hostas and flowering about two months late.

*******************

- Latest picture of Rebecca's Yukon garden.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...