Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2008

thanksgiving

"October" by Carl Larsson

This weekend we celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada.

If I were to write my list of things to be thankful for, you would see I am indeed blessed. You might even think I am God's favorite (I am -- but so are you!).

However, especially on days officially set apart to think grateful thoughts I can't help but wonder how I would fare if things were different. How thankful will I be on Wednesday morning if one of the "wrong" parties wins the federal election? How thankful will I be if/when this economic downturn comes to roost in my life? How thankful will I be should our idyllic way of life (E's and mine in our sweet empty nest) be rocked by disaster or disease?

It's not hard for me to be thankful when things are going my way. But will I ever be able to say: "I know how to be abased and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." After living with myself these many years, I know how far I am from that lofty standard.

This Thanksgiving I resolve to weave thankfulness into more of the fabric of my life. May this be my template: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6,7

2 comments:

Pilgrim said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Violet! I remember that early celebration, when I lived in Ontario. A time for feasting, cooking on a large scale.

Violet N. said...

Thanks, Julana. Yes, feasting on a large scale for sure! Dinner was Sunday - today is day to be thankful for light cuisine :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...