Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2009

one more sleep!

I can't believe that Christmas is one day away. This has been a fabulous week - getting ready for the big day and for family to come. By tonight we'll have babies in the house. YES!!

I have so enjoyed the run-up to Christmas this year. Somehow all the stuff got done and I've still had time to relax and enjoy the beautiful lights and the music.

With my Mom's stuff I inherited a couple of Christmas CDs put out by Our Daily Bread. Some of the songs on those have become favorites.

Here is one I just love - only sung here by the boys of the St. Patrick's Cathedral Choir. (I've included the lyrics because these angelic kids sing with an accent and are just a tad hard to understand.)



How Far is it to Bethlehem?

How far is it to Bethlehem? 

Not very far.

Shall we find the stable room

Lit by a star?

Can we see the little child? 

Is he within?

If we lift the wooden latch

May we go in?

May we stroke the creatures there
Ox, ass, or sheep?

May we peep like them and see
Jesus asleep?

If we touch his tiny hand

Will he awake?
Will he know we've come so far

Just for his sake?

Great kings have precious gifts

And we have naught

Little smiles and little tears
Are all we brought.

For all weary children

Mary must weep
Here, on his bed of straw

Sleep, children, sleep.

God in his mother's arms
Babes in the byre
Sleep, as they sleep who find

Their heart's desire.

2 comments:

Pilgrim said...

I love to find "new" old Christmas songs. I'll have to find a copy of this somewhere.

Violet N. said...

Glad you enjoyed it. It is now one of my favs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...